Translate into your favorite language

Monday 30 July 2012

Back in the day

I love animated movies. They are just so much fun to watch. More so when they are movies from ones childhood, they become extra special. The other day at work, we sat in a group discussing how cool Captain Planet was, and what a swagger Top Cat had. The Swat Kats to date, remain the ultimate fighting duo. I mean, how can one not go 'oooo' at a talking cat, that repairs cars in the day and fights crime in a super bat-mobile-esque flying thingamagiggy at night with his smart side kick?That's just awesome! I am so thinking of having an old animation movie marathon with mates..hmmm..
Desktop
Its a pity that TV is now filled with cartoons and programs targeted at conditioning kids to become dumb and dumber. I remember coming back from school and gluing myself to the TV waiting for I Dream of Jeannie, and Silver spoons. The homework would be scheduled around the evening show of Tail Spin and Duck tales. No amount of mums threats ever deterred me from watching these shows. Good times 

They don't make TV programs and cartoons like that anymore. I know I sound older than my years,but the cartoons back in the day used to be super fun without the jazz and also gave an educational message without being preachy. I see my cousins now watching silly cartoons and they just “dont get” Tom and Jerry and Wile E Coyote. Unbelievable. They had to make a life like Tintin to reach out to the masses, where half of them don't even know who Asterix and Obelisk are. The idea!
Studio-ghibli-logo-totoro_45323
I will take animated movies over “real” movies anyday. Recently I have been fortunate to come across Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli production and I am hooked. Unbelievable Japanese animated movies ranging to an hour plus, with stories mostly based on children, environment and family, Studio Ghibli is a delight. It is very traditional Japanese and the stories are mostly Japanese folk lore. After growing up with Disney, I would say Disney with its Happily ever after falls way behind when compared to Studio Ghibli. The message is less candy coated methinks.

I have loved watching Studio Ghibli's Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery service, My Neighbor Totoro, Howls Moving Castle and the one I have watched innumerable times is Spirited Away. These movies are not only for children who will love them, but also for adults who appreciate fluid animation, depth of story, character formation and Fantasy.
So it has been a rather gloomy indoor-sy day, what with it pouring till kingdom come outside, but I am so looking forward to getting comfy with a warm drink and the latter half of Spirited Away, albeit for the 1001 time 

No comments:

Post a Comment